Monday, July 18, 2011

The Great Green Lamp Search

This weekend marked the start of the Great Green Lamps Search (or GGLS, for short. which looks kind of like "giggles". Which I might do if I could find the GGL I'm searching for).

Here's what I had in mind*:
1st Dibs
Single Gorgeous Beautiful Lamp, Cost: my entire year's salary



1st Dibs
Like waking up to a green giraffe that has a light up head, Cost: my firstborn

SPOILER: Unfortunately, no dice on the lamps.

On Saturday, Mr. N. and I went to my favorite event of the summer, Brimfield! I don't know why I love Brimfield. It goes against many of my "rules"--no crowds, no dirt, no clutter--but for some reason, I'll break all those rules for Brimfield. Maybe it's the egg sandwiches...mmmmm....

A few key hints for enjoying Brimfield:

1. Get there early. Not super early, because no one will be open yet, just earlier than anyone with a good brain would want to wake up on a Saturday. We are always there before 9am.

2. First things first, get yourself an egg sandwich. chat with the guy making your sandwich. Marvel at how good it feels to be friendly. Don't go overboard though, it's still early & too much joy all at once can have adverse effects.

3. Don't wander, be organized. Go in rows. What if you miss something? END OF THE WORLD.

4. Don't take things so seriously. So you want a pair of green lamps for next to nothing, and suddenly it's like the people who make free green lamps took a holiday. Whatever. Get over it so you don't miss out on something great. Like this silver-plated lotus vase with frog that I scored for $15.
Ooooh, shiny!

The next Brimfield show is September 6-11. Will you be going?




*Yes, I know 1st Dibs is the most ridiculous place for anyone, other than Martyn Lawrence Bullard (delicious darling!), to start looking for lamps. I've looked elsewhere too, but now I'm sort of obsessing over that pair of murano lamps.

No comments:

Post a Comment